First of all, thank you all so much for all the love on my grandpa's cooking video! He is overwhelmed with all of your kind and words <3
Below is the exact recipe for his Blanquette de Veau. You can see him making it on TikTok by clicking HERE.
BLANQUETTE DE VEAU
- 600 grams veal (breast and/or shoulder)
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 1/2 cup rosé (grandpa used rosé, but you can use any white wine as well)
- 3 cups water
- 1 whole brown onion
- 8-10 medium sized mushrooms
- 1/2 leek
- 1 beef stock cube
- Salt + pepper
- 2 carrots
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Basmati Rice
- 1 lemon
- 1 large bay leaf
- 150ml thickened cream
- 1 egg yolk
Blanquette de Veau:
- Cut your veal into pieces (6x6x6cm roughly)- remove any excess fat.
- Cook the veal in butter and 2 tbs olive oil until brown on all sides in large pot.
- Add flour to pot. Stir well.
- Add your rosé or wine to pot. Stir well.
- Add 1 cup water to pot. Stir well, and keep on low-medium heat.
- Slice onion, and add to pot. Stir well.
- Add 1 cup water. Stir well.
- Cut mushrooms in quarters, and cut your leek in 0.5cm thick slices.
- Add to pot: leek, beef stock, 1 more cup of water, salt + pepper. Stir well
- Peel carrots, and cut into 0.5cm thick slices. Add to pot.
- Add thyme and mushrooms to pot. Stir well.
- Keep pot on low-med heat (with lid on ideally, but also fine without lid). Cook for 30-45 mins, until the meat becomes nice and tender, and the vegetables are nice and soft.
- In separate bowl, add: lemon squeeze (entire lemon), cream, and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Once the meat/vegetables are cooked, add separate bowl mixture to pot. Stir, and keep pot on low heat for 3 mins.
- Remove pot from heat, serve with rice, and enjoy!
- Weigh your rice: the perfect portion is around 50-75g/person (but feel free to make more, as desired).
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to large pot, and put on med heat.
- Add basmati rice- stir well and consistently, so as to brown the rice grains really lightly, but not burn them.
- Once rice has a nice light yellow/beige colour, add hot water from kettle, and keep on heat until rice is cooked (taste test to know when it’s ready).
- Drain rice, and enjoy with the delicious veal stew!